I know some of you are very confused by the title of this post, so let’s take a moment to talk about it. Did you know it is bad for your hair to wash it every day? By doing so, you are stripping your hair of its natural oils causing it to be dry and brittle. I personally always used to wash my hair every day because I have oily hair and it would be greasy by the next morning if I didn’t. Now I only wash my hair about 2 times a week! It sounds gross but it has really helped my hair stay healthy and it is how I have been able to grow it so long. Plus, after a few weeks, I noticed my hair was taking longer to become visibly greasy; I had oil trained my hair. If you are interested in how I maintain my hair through the week including products I use and how I style my hair just keep reading!
I wash my hair about every 3 days, that does not mean I don’t still hop in the shower! I just don’t actually shampoo my hair every day, most days I have my hair up in a bun and leave it dry while washing my body. From time to time I will use just some conditioner as it does have some cleansing abilities and gives my hair that fresh washed smell as well as a nice shine. For the days I don’t wet my hair I use dry shampoo. When I do shampoo my hair I make sure it is a deep clean. I will get into the products I use next, but I be sure to really massage my scalp and I make sure not to put any shampoo on my ends. I follow up with a conditioner and once a week I use a hair mask.
Products I Use
1. This is a clarifying treatment I use that helps remove any product build up, balances the pH of my scalp, and smooths the cuticles creating shine and volume. I love this stuff.
2. This is the hair mask I am currently using once a week, it smells unbelievable and leaves my hair soft and shiny.
3. This is a leave in product that I use for so many different purposes (there are literally 10 things it actually does do for your hair, so worth the money!) I use it before blowdrying or heat styling my hair, I use it after dry shampooing to restore some of the shine, I use it to help tame frizz, the list goes on.
4. This is the dry shampoo I use and swear by. Definitely my favorite I have ever used, and I have tried many. I love that I can get a brunette version so it won’t leave that white cast on my hair that many other dry shampoos do. It soaks up excess oil, gives my hair texture and volume, and smells good too. It comes in a bunch of scents and there are other hair color options as well.
5. I love this hair oil, I use it every time I wash my hair and if my ends are looking particularly dry I will put a little on them in between washing as well. It smells delicious, like cotton candy, and I love how healthy it makes my hair look.
The first day or two after washing my hair I typically wear it down just straight unless I have somewhere to go, then I might give it a little curl. Once I start to noitce a little oil I usually opt for a side braid or low ponytail. When I get closer to hair washing day and my hair has a pretty good amount of oil, I wear it all the way up, typically in a top knot, braid, or ponytail. Stay tuned for a couple easy hair tutorials for my go to hair styles!
That sums up this post on oil training your hair! Hope you found this information helpful and be sure to leave a comment with some of your favorite hair care products! Do you guys wash your hair everyday? Would you ever give this method a try?